Thai teenager dies after suspected food poisoning
SILIGURI: A Thai teenager, who came to take admission in a local school, died while two of his fellow applicants fell seriously ill after food poisoning in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district on Wednesday, police said.
According to sources, the Thai nationals were staying with their respective families at the Cochrane Resort in West Bengal’s hill station Kurseong since Tuesday.
“Koetsirikuwong, 15, suddenly fell ill on Wednesday possibly from food poisoning. The youth was taken to Kurseong hospital where he was declared dead,” said Asit Biswas, Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) of Darjeeling district.
“Two more Thai boys named Archavapong Artaumbauy, 14 and Pakin Tsantsirametkakul, 14, who were staying in the same resort, also fell ill,” the officer said.
Police said they have started a case of unnatural death after the incident.
“The body of the deceased has been sent to North Bengal Medical College and Hospital in Siliguri for the autopsy,” police said.