Essar Foundation to provide 1.25 million meals and 1 lakh medical supplies for COVID-19 relief
In the wake of the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, Essar Foundation considers it incumbent upon itself to contribute meaningfully to the pan-India efforts, and alleviate the suffering of communities that may not have access to mainstream relief initiatives.
“Our efforts have been focussed on reaching out to the most vulnerable communities. Being part of the Government of Maharashtra Corona Control CSR Group, we are able to coordinate directly with the state machinery and work jointly with leading groups. We also have tie-ups with several companies and non-profits to consolidate structured relief efforts by identifying communities and responsibly directing funds. The Essar Covid-19 Relief Fund is committed to support various groups that are in need of funding. We have reached out to Essar employees and senior leadership to contribute to the fund,” said Mr Kaustubh Sonalkar, Group President Human Resource, Essar, and CEO – Essar Foundation.
Against this background, Essar Foundation has undertaken the following meal and medical initiatives reaching out to communities in need at the grassroot level –
· Commitment to provide 1.25 million (12.5 lakh) meals to communities affected by the COVID-19 outbreak
· Successfully provided 665,000 (6.65 lakh) meals to communities in need across Maharashtra State; including frontline doctors, Mumbai Police Force, slum dwellers, daily wage earners, women with a background of domestic violence and transgenders
· Earmarked 20,000 meals per day to the Maharashtra Chief Minister’s Relief Fund routed to marginalised and disadvantaged communities
· Commitment to provide over 100,000 medical supplies to frontliners combating COVID-19
· Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), N-95, 3Ply face masks and hand sanitisers supplied to over 10 Government /Private Hospitals in Mumbai and over 9 police stations across South Mumbai
· Real-time engagement with Government, Semi Government and Non-Government Organisations as well as Corporates at the community level for COVID-19 awareness and prevention campaigns.
Over the last 50 years, Essar has worked closely with the communities residing in the vicinity of its operations. Since 2011, Essar Foundation has carried on the philanthropic work in a cohesive, programmatic manner. Its activities are inspired by the concept of shared value whereby Essar strives to build an inclusive environment for the communities that it impacts through its business operations in the sectors of Energy, Infrastructure, Metals & Mining, Services, and Technology. Working in collaboration with non-profits and the local administrations, the Foundation today reaches out to 500,000 people across 500 villages in eight Indian state in the areas of Women’s Empowerment, Livelihoods & Entrepreneurship, Education, Environment Conservation, and Healthcare & Sanitation