Rudy Giuliani opts out of Trump administration
NEW YORK: Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has told US President-elect Donald Trump that he will not hold a post in the new administration, the transition team said on Friday.
Giuliani, one of Trump’s most prominent boosters during the campaign, had been touted as a possible Secretary of State or Director of National Intelligence, EFE news reported.
The former mayor informed Trump on November 29 that he was removing his name from consideration for a job in the new government set to take office on January 20, the transition team said.
Giuliani said he was ready to focus again on work with his law firm and consultancy.
“Rudy would have been an outstanding member of the Cabinet in several roles, but I fully respect and understand his reasons for remaining in the private sector,” Trump said.
“He is and continues to be a close personal friend, and as appropriate, I will call upon him for advice and can see an important place for him in the administration at a later date,” he said.
Giuliani will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Presidential Transition Team.